6 Habits of Successful People
1. Maximize Potential/ Strengths: Focus is an important part of being effective. There are so many things that you can achieve, but it’s impossible to do everything all at once. Focus on one goal at a time to maximize your time. Figure out what you’re good at and be confident in what you know. By recognizing and working with your strengths, you can focus your attention productively.
2. Be Proactive: It is important to acknowledge that your success depends mainly on your own actions. Being proactive takes determination, focus, and persistence. Everyone runs into setbacks in their life. How you handle them is the important part. If you give up in the middle of the race, there’s no way you can finish it.
3. Make Sure You’re Always Learning: Our society is constantly changing. Growth is essential for a sustainable lifestyle. This growth can come in many forms: mental, physical, spiritual. Take time at the end of the day to think about what you’ve learned and make sure you are taking full advantage of all of your resources. Seek out your own answers when you have questions. There’s always something out there that you don’t know.
4. Take Risks: Most billionaires will attest to not fearing risk. Be aware of when you are holding yourself back out of fear. Success requires putting a lot of yourself and what you have into things that you feel are important. This is always risky, but it is crucial to moving forward in a powerful way.5. Communicate: An important part of communication is conveying your ideas as clearly as possible. Make sure your delivery leaves little room for misinterpretation. It is equally important to listen to others as it is to be heard. When listening, be open to what others have to say- even if at first you don’t agree. You never know who could teach you the most unlikely lessons. A healthy “give-and-take” in your communication also makes others want to listen to what you have to say and opens them up to your influence.
6. Take Criticism: It is important to recognize the difference between negative criticism and constructive criticism. Seek feedback from those whom you trust. Be gracious in response to what they have to say. If you are, they will be more likely to help and support you in the future. Don’t just listen to what they have to say, but also implement it. Take advantage of their advice by doing something productive with it!
For advice in your education and career, LA ORT advisors are here to help guide you through the important decisions. If you have a successful tip you think we’ve missed, please let us know below!