Best Back-to-School Sales for 2015
It’s that time of year again. Retailers across the country are dropping prices on the items that you (or your kids) need to get ready for another successful school year. But who reallyhas the best back-to-school sales this year?
- Amazon is a no-brainer if you’re looking for cheap school supplies, but don’t want to fight your way through the crowded stores. Through September, you can get serious discounts on office supplies, clothes, electronics, and more. Pro tip: Make sure to check out their special “Back-to-School Deals” section for even bigger discounts on certain items.
- Staples has pretty much guaranteed the lowest prices on name-brand office supplies. Through mid-September, if you bring in proof of a competitor’s price, they’ll give you an extra 10% off of that. Pro tip: While this is undoubtedly an excellent deal, keep in mind you might be able to find cheaper brands at places like Walmart.
- Walmart also makes the list of the best back-to-school sales this season, but honestly they’d probably make the list of best sales any time of year. Pro tip: Keep in mind that with Walmart, you’re getting what you pay for. Go cheap for the items you’ll need to buy again next year anyway (notebooks, pens, etc.), but consider purchasing slightly higher quality in items like book bags and clothes that are meant to last a bit longer. You’ll end up saving money in the long run.
Knowing where to go is only one part of getting the best bang for your buck in Back-to-School sales. When gearing up to go shopping, keep these things in mind as well:
- Make a List:Whether it’s one you write for yourself or one your kid’s teacher provides, a well thought-out list is a necessary part of any shopping trip. Only write down what you really need, and then only buy what’s actually on your list. Stores are designed to encourage you to make impulse buys for things you don’t really need.
- Give Yourself Plenty of Time: Getting the best deals can often mean making stops at a few different stores. Staples might have the cheapest book bag, but Walmart might have the best price on notebooks. Start your shopping early so you won’t be rushed into paying more.
- Know When to Wait: Retailers often mark up certain items this time of year, in the hopes that lazy shoppers will try to stock up in the midst of their back-to-school shopping. If you can hold off on buying fall clothes until about October, definitely do so. It’s also a good idea to wait to buy your new smartphone until around November.
What are your favorite tips for back-to-school shopping? Share them in the comments below!