New Course Offering: Start Your Phlebotomy Career Here
If you’re looking for a path into a new, growing career in the Medical Clinical Laboratory industry, this is your chance. Starting July 21st, 2014, LA ORT will be offering a new Phlebotomy Certification course. Classes will be offered in the evening, 4 days a week, at both campuses.
With a steady growth of population comes an increased need for medical workers. As doctors and nurses are increasingly stretched taking care of exhaustive tasks, people with more specialized skills are needed to take care of more routine procedures. While there are many careers in the medical field to choose from, there is a specific demand for those certified in Phlebotomy. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Employment of phlebotomists is projected to increase by 27 percent in the next 8 years.
Phlebotomists, on average, make $29,730 annually with benefits. This is often a higher wage than those who graduate with only a certification as a medical assistant. Phlebotomists also have the flexibility to work in a diverse collection of work environments including: public and private clinics, laboratories, state, local, and private hospitals, and standalone facilities.
What You’ll Learn:
This program will teach you the ins-and-outs of the role of a Phlebotomist. These lessons will include:
• Proper procedures for venipuncture- collection, systems, and labeling
• Special collection procedures
• Professional interaction with patients, colleagues, and other health care professionals
• Infectious diseases and their prevention
• Quality assurance and quality control procedures
• The legal implications of Phlebotomy and law procedures
• How to handle stress and maintain flexibility as a Phlebotomist
• Proper use of the hi-tech equipment required daily
Why This Certification?
Those wishing to work in Phlebotomy in the state of California must fulfill these course requirements to work in the field. LA ORT’s Phlebotomy certification is a comprehensive full course offering including classroom instruction, extensive laboratory practice, off-site externship, and job placement. At LA ORT, we are dedicated to your success! Our teachers, advisors, and career services officers are here to help every step of the way.